Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I have been blessed with so much more than I deserve.


For those of you that don't know, I love Martina McBride so much that I have danced and sang to her music while I'm out on the town almost like I am Martina!!!! P.S. I give one heck of a good concert too. Next time she comes in town I will be at her concert as I have gone to the past two concerts. Anyways...one of her songs reminds me of my life, during times I'm feeling a little down or simply need a pick me up I often play these words through my head that Martina sings so loud and proud....


"I have been blessed with so much more than I deserve, to be here with the ones who love me, to love them so much it hurts I have been blessed."



I've really been thinking about my job (to the right is a picture of myself and two co-workers the Valentine's Dance---does it look like we have fun?), the people I support, and their families a lot lately and realize my job is a blessing. For those of you that don't know--I work at a day program for adults with developmental disabilities and enjoy every minute of my job. Okay, on most days. I'm what is called a QDDP, Qualified Developmental Disability Professional. I assist with writing the customers plans, ensuring their daily needs are met, advocate for them to achieve their hopes/dreams/and additional supports as their needs increase throughout their adulthood, and also get to spend time with the customers. I get to do a lot of fun things at my job!


HOw many people get to dance at their job, take a break by riding a scooter up and down the hallway, jump in a moonwalk, or even have a popcorn party at any point in their day? Not a lot of people do--and that's one of the many reasons, "I have been blessed." Coming into my job on a daily basis is never the same thing. I get a greeting in the morning like I haven't been seen in weeks, get hugs and smiles that could turn any bad day into a good day, and get to see customers throughout their day that get excited to see me. I told a customer yesterday that with the look on her face when she saw me you would think Obama had just walked in the room! (Okay, I'm a little shorter, lighter in skin, and chubby than him---but she thought it was funny!) It's not only me that the customers look forward to seeing-they've made friends with other adults with developmental disabilities, have developed relationships both with their staff and individuals within the community, and some of them even have "boyfriends" and "girlfriends," at the program.

It amazes me that with all of the things these individuals could have to complain about individuals with disabilities seem to have the best attitude and outlook on life---something we could all probably take a lesson from them.

There are days no doubt that I get stressed as I have a lot of paperwork to get completed with a deadline by the state, but nothing can come in the way with me knowing that I'm making someone's day!!!! Better yet...they make my day. A customer I support has shown signs of increased dementia...he often can't remember where he last put his lunch box or that he was walking towards the restroom and gets lost on the way there--- somehow he can remember my name and for that I'm grateful as he reminds me in small ways that, "I have been blessed!"

I'm blessed that I was given the patience, heart, and creativity to work with individuals with disabilities. I feel as though my parents have a great portion in helping me become where I am---they taught me to strive for what I wanted, not to judge others, and most importantly to care for others in your own creative way.

Maybe you don't know anyone with a disability or maybe you have a child with a disability; at any rate we should all feel blessed in the small things life has to offer.

I encourage you next time you hear someone call someone "Retarded,"(EVEN if it's in a joking manner) or even if you use this word please educate yourself and others in knowing that there are so many abilities of individuals with disabilities. They have feelings too and you wouldn't want your child being called something in that manner. Please change your vocabulary and DISABLE THE LABLE!!!!!!!

On a side note---you can check out the web-site where I work: www.developingpotential.org

If you feel it in your heart to donate items, old clothing, or even old art supplies you don't use please let me know!!!! You may not be able to directly work with someone with a disability but you can make a small difference.

Thanks for reading why I have been blessed...now I want to hear why you are blessed. Mother--stop crying!!!


3 comments:

  1. Love your positive post. What a comfort to know people like you are taking care of our little Dani. That's why she's so happy at DPI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blessed to be able to serve and support a group of people that have a heart for those in need!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you! It's great working with awesome stakeholders as well :)

    ReplyDelete